22/12/2009

Read Along: The Science of A Really Bad Day


Every morning I bumped to this book at the "Gift Ideas" section in my workplace, then one morning I decided to take a quick preview. It's interesting though, to explain something bitter in our life in a scientific terms. I thought it would be that hard (imagining those quantum leaps thingy and so on), but as I leafed through the page, I found this book more a self-help book, than a scientific explanation. Maybe you should try to look at the quotes below:
"Why do things have to fall?
Wouldn't be great if when you dropped things they just hung in midair where you'd just left them?
Falling is a real pain in the butt, especially if that's where we land. But if nothing ever fell, if there were no up and no down, we would not exist. Nor would any of the planets and stars in the heavens above us."
-"Why Sh*t Happens: The Science of a Really Bad Day", Peter J. Bentley, Ph.D., page 185

*Dang!*
Sounds so familiar. I stopped reading at that point and couldn't stop thinking how's Mr. Bentley could read my mind. Ha ha.